Start Kingston adult chat rooms

Kingston adult chat rooms

Its operation was overseen by an elected Board of Guardians, 19 in number, representing its 12 constituent parishes as listed below (figures in brackets indicate numbers of Guardians if more than one): Lancashire: Ardwick (2), Burnage, Chorlton-upon-Medlock (5), Chorlton with Hardy, Didsbury, Gorton, Hulme (3), Levenshulme, Mosside, Rushulme, Stretford, Withington.

The layout of the site can be seen on the 1916 map. After a peep into the chapel, which, though conveniently constructed for its purpose, does not present any striking features of architectural beauty, we commenced a systematic tour through the female wards, and found ourselves in a room devoted to the mending of stockings.

Chorlton Barlow Moor workhouse site, 1916 The original construction centred around a large cruciform main building which included at chapel in the south wing nearest the site entrance, and a dining hall in the north wing to the rear. Some twenty women were employed on a huge stack of them darning away for dear life we passed on to what may be termed the baby-house.

She tells me the doctor wants her to marry him, and has promised her a pair, of earrings and a finger ring, but she has not get them yet... In an adjacent room were the older women, one of whom seemed highly amused because another had forgotten her age.

She laughed until she shook again, and said she liked laughing because it made her fat.

[Up to 1834] [After 1834] [Staff] [Inmates] [Records] [Bibliography] [Links] Township workhouses in the Chorlton area included on at Gorton.

In the 1830s, its Master received 3 shillings a week for each pauper in his care.

The next room we visited upset all the notions of Bumbledom we had inbibed from a perusal of "Oliver Twist".

It was the Nursery, devoted to children between the ages of two and five years.

We then entered the old women's sitting-room, where the dear old creatures past all work sit and croon and twiddle their thumbs.

It is true some of them make a pretence of doing a little darning, but they seem quite at liberty to do as much or as little as they like.

The building was erected in 1854-5 and was designed by William Hayley, Son and Leigh Hall. The old people occupy the front seats, the middle-aged and young come next, and the children bring up the rear.